Make sure the staff knows you and your history
A cardiac rehabilitation program teaches you how to lead a heart-healthy lifestyle, covering topics from fitness to food.
The American Council on Exercise says here’s what to expect from a cardiac rehab program:
- First, you’ll talk to the staff about your medical history, current medications, your lifestyle and your goals for the program.
- The staff should devise a personal treatment and exercise plan.
- During actual rehab visits, you’ll probably weigh yourself, then exercise while hooked up to a device that records your heart activity.
- Your program may include aerobic, flexibility and strengthening exercises.
- The program also may cover how to make healthy food choices, manage your health and deal with the emotional issues associated with a heart condition.