Limit fruits and fruit juices
Fructose intolerance occurs when the body has difficulty absorbing fructose, a natural sugar found in fruits, vegetables and honey.
The American Gastroenterological Association offers these suggestions to help manage fructose intolerance:
- Restrict consumption of fruit juices and fruits.
- Keep a food diary to see how much fructose you can consume comfortably.
- Limit consumption of honey.
- Avoid drinking soda, to which fructose is often added.
- Limit consumption of alcohol.