Make sure your doctor knows about them
When you’re pregnant, it’s important to be careful about taking any medications, even over-the-counter drugs.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers these guidelines for pregnant women:
- Always check with your doctor before you take any supplement, vitamin or over-the-counter medication.
- Speak to your doctor about the need to avoid taking any medication during your first trimester.
- Aacetaminophen (brand name: Tylenol) is usually a safe option for short-term relief of pain, but check with your doctor before taking it. Do not take aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) or naproxen (Aleve).
- Avoid medications that are extra-strength or long-acting.
- Don’t take combination medications that are meant to treat multiple symptoms.