Grief is a normal reaction to any type of loss, from death to divorce.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers this advice about healthy ways to grieve:
- Reach out to loved ones to talk about how you’re feeling and what you’re going through. Don’t be afraid to ask for help.
- Try to quickly resume your everyday routine.
- Get plenty of exercise and sleep each day.
- Eat a healthy, nutritious diet.
- Don’t turn to alcohol.
- Avoid making major decisions too soon after your loss.
- Acknowledge the emotions you are feeling. It’s perfectly acceptable to cry, to feel angry or even to feel numb.