3049 Miller Road
Ann Arbor, MI 48103
Call Now Free Consultation(734) 769-6838

2024 How Do I Sue a Hospital in Michigan for Medical Malpractice?

Hospitals have a duty to provide patients with the standard of care. Hospitals are responsible for the healthcare providers they hire and may be held responsible for the doctors to whom they grant privileges.

Hire a Medical Malpractice Lawyer in Michigan

In order to determine whether you have the grounds to sue a hospital for medical malpractice, you should contact a lawyer who has the experience knowledge to help you build a case.

A good lawyer can support you in the following ways:

  • Your attorney can help you gather the necessary evidence, such as your medical records and witness statements, to support your claim.
  • Your attorney can file the proper documents to initiate your case.
  • Your lawyer can represent you and present all evidence to the judge and jury.

Your lawyer can handle all the legal aspects of your case to ensure you have the best chance of recovering the damages you seek.

File a Notice of Intent

In Michigan, a notice of intent to sue must be filed at least 182 days before a medical malpractice suit is filed. A notice of intent should include information the basis for your claim, how the hospital and/or doctors failed to provide with the standard of care, and how it resulted in damages.

A medical malpractice lawyer can explain what information is required for the notice of intent.

Gather Evidence for Your Malpractice Case

In any case that deals with negligence, evidence is required to prove your claims and make your case as strong as possible. Medical malpractice cases are no different.

Medical records are a crucial source of evidence in medical malpractice cases. Medical records will have the pertinent information, including notes from examinations and office visits, surgery notes, test results, treatment plan, and other information of relevance.

Other important evidence includes medical bills, rehabilitation costs, therapy costs, and the like. Additionally, any documentation for time that you were unable to work due to your injuries will be needed.


Q. Can I Settle My Medical Malpractice Case Without Going to Court?

A. Yes. The parties may agree to settle through negotiation or through a process called facilitative mediation.

Contact Goethel Engelhardt, PLLC

Suing a hospital requires time, effort, experience, and expertise. The team at Goethel Engelhardt, PLLC is prepared to work diligently on your case. Contact our office today to get started with a consultation.

Facebook Twitter Linkedin

Recent Posts



Goethel Engelhardt, PLLC

3049 Miller Road
Ann Arbor, MI 48103

Request A Consultation

Call us at (734) 769-6838 OR Use the
form below to Request a free case evaluation.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.