3049 Miller Road
Ann Arbor, MI 48103
Call Now Free Consultation(734) 769-6838

Two-Year-Old Dies 22 Hours After Being Discharged From the Hospital

Michelle Fernando fell ill one week after her mother was diagnosed with swine  flu.

After being advised by physicians to give his daughter painkillers and water,  Rashid Fernando is now mourning the death of his two-year-old daughter.

As reported by the Daily Mail, Michelle Fernando fell ill one week  after her mother was diagnosed with swine flu. When her father took her to the  Bristol Children’s Hospital in Bristol, England, doctors advised Rashid to give  his daughter painkillers and water. Following her hospital visit, 22 hours later  Michelle was pronounced dead.

According to a pathologist, Michelle had traces of swine flu surrounding her  nose and throat, but the cause of her death was due to pneumonia and  septicemia.

According to Michelle’s parents, after being sent home from her hospital  visit, 22 hours later Michelle began having trouble breathing. When the  Fernandos dialed for an ambulance, they were informed Michelle’s condition did  not sound too fatal and that an ambulance will be there in 20 minutes, but  shortly after Michelle became motionless. When the Fernandos dialed for an  ambulance once again, it arrived moments later. Michelle was rushed to the  hospital where she was pronounced dead.

Due to the hospitals negligence, an investigation was launched.

Dr. Thomas Allport, a physician at Bristol Children’s Hospital who  specializes in pediatrics, presided over the review. According to Allport it may  have been likely for pneumonia to have been present in Michelle’s body;  nevertheless her respiratory examination did not display any signs of pneumonia.  Furthermore, he believes it was improbable for there to be septicemia, which can  cause fatal infections that can get worse quickly.

The physician who examined the toddler, Dr. Jon Kim, provided evidence during  the review stating Michelle’s rates were normal and her parents were concerned  about her diarrhea and vomiting.

Greater Western Ambulance Service was also requested to explain why an  ambulance had not been dispatched immediately. According to Paul Eland, a  representative, it was because of the way operators were informed to handle the  swine flu pandemic.

Since Michelle’s death in November 2009, Bristol Children’s Hospital and  Greater Western Ambulance Service, implemented slight changes. The hospital now  re-exam patients’, checking rate and pulse before discharge and Greater Western  Ambulance Service now classify calls during swine flu pandemics involving  toddlers as a priority.

Source: Medical Daily at  http://www.medicaldaily.com/articles/11007/20120720/michelle-fernando-swine-flu-death.htm#c4xR1WUmH43DvC21.99

Facebook Twitter Linkedin

Recent Posts



Goethel Engelhardt, PLLC

3049 Miller Road
Ann Arbor, MI 48103

Request A Consultation

Call us at (734) 769-6838 OR Use the
form below to Request a free case evaluation.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.