3049 Miller Road
Ann Arbor, MI 48103
Call Now Free Consultation(734) 769-6838

What should I do after a car accident?

If a Michigan resident has ever been involved in an accident, then they understand the stress. We are all aware of car accidents and their prevalence, but we rarely, if ever, think that they could happen to us. And, when they do, we often find ourselves unsure of what to do in the immediate aftermath of a crash.

There are a number of steps one can take after a wreck to protect their legal interests. The first thing to do is remain on the scene and call for medical assistance, if needed. Then, call the police to have the accident properly documented. In addition, if able, try to take pictures of any damage or injuries. It is also important to talk to witnesses and gather their contact information, as their accounts may be important to any potential legal case.

And, most importantly, do not admit fault and do not sign any documentation, unless asked to do so by a police officer. After the accident, be sure to obtain a copy of the police report, and contact one’s insurance company. By keeping a detailed injury log and tracking injury-related expenses, proving damages will be much easier.

Following these steps can ensure accident victims can pursue a personal injury lawsuit against a negligent driver. Of course, depending on the extent of the injuries suffered, it may not be possible to carry all of the steps identified above. That is okay. What is important is recognizing that there is certain information that should be carefully documented or obtained. If one needs help with this process, qualified legal professionals stand ready to assist.

Facebook Twitter Linkedin

Recent Posts



Goethel Engelhardt, PLLC

3049 Miller Road
Ann Arbor, MI 48103

Request A Consultation

Call us at (734) 769-6838 OR Use the
form below to Request a free case evaluation.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.